Thursday, September 24, 2015
The dreaded moment...
So yesterday I had to deal with the inevitable, the dreaded moment when a teacher pulls you aside and proceeded to tell you that your child is " in trouble". I quietly listened as this teacher who is not one of my child s teachers proceeded to tell me how my son had been caught throwing wet paper towel on the ceiling in the boy's bathroom.i was surprised and disappointed, when I probed further on our walk home I discovered he had been in the bathroom with a friend causing this mess, so I initially was relieved as I thought, maybe this was his friends idea. I talked to him about choosing good friends and to not do wrong when they are and the he proudly announced " oh, but it was my idea- he was just copying me!" I was so disappointed, but also wanted to teach him. I feel as though our society is all about passing the buck, not accepting responsibility and entitlement- I do not want that for my children! So we talked for a while and came up with a plan to write an apology note to the janitor who had cleaned up the mess, and to help the consequence sink in a little deeper he had to hand deliver it to him when we got to school this morning. I think and I hope that he will never do that again. I hope to teach my children to take ownership and responsibility for their actions. Also because our faith is a big part of our daily lives I sized another teaching moment, I asked him if he had felt the Holy Ghost when he was making the mess? I reminded him that he is getting baptized next summer so he needed to listen to those feelings! He than turned to me and said " well I didn't feel any different, I don't know what the Holy Ghost feels like" having 5 other kids in tote it was not the best timing to sit down and quietly talk this over, so I told him we would chat more at home. Later in the evening I reminded him of our conversation and asked him if he wanted to know how the Holy Ghost felt? He did so we prayed together and he asked Heavenly Father to help him feel the Holy Ghost so he could recognize it when he needed its help. I was so disappointed in his chick earlier that day but was so proud of him for choosing to offer a humble prayer to seek a closer relationship with his Father in Heaven. He felt " warm and tingly, like butterflies", I hope he will listen to this feeling in the future and allow it to help him choose the right!Ahhh life lessons!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I see "spit balls" have really progressed in the 21st Century from when I was a kid. I think you have handled this whole experience very well, Tisha.
Post a Comment